My poor poor kids…is what I think on most days I mean they do have to deal with me day in and day out. I can be strict I can be off the wall with new ideas that they know will only last a day at most,then there are some days when it seems like EVERYONE is in my bubble!
Then there are the days that this momma has been up since 4:30 am and is feeling a little loopy while trying to breast feed a child and get a gourmet dinner of fish sticks,french fries, and pickles and olives out. Why is it out of the easiest meals I’ve “made” this week it took me the longest to get it to the table?
Maybe it was because the day before I had been suffering from a SERIOUS case of the grumpies….I mean serious people. No amount of coffee in the world seemed to help,not even topped with whipped cream. No cutest baby smiles….no I love yous….not even my kids doing their school work compliantly could pull me out of that stupid funk.
So yesterday as the “dinner rush” was about to begin and my loopiness from being awake so long began to take affect,I decided we needed music. Not just any music but the kind that makes you wanna jump(Sing it with me y’all Jump Jump!),dance,and croon right along. We needed 80’s and 90’s boy band music! Thank God for Pandora because within minutes we were singing (ok I was doing most of the singing) and dancing along to New Kids On The Block,Bel Biv Devoe,Nsync,Backstreet Boys,and even a little Michael.
I rotated kids in and out of the kitchen to help throw the fish sticks on a sheet or in the oven,while others practiced their smooth dance moves in the living room. I use the word smooth loosely have you ever seen a room full of 7-10 year olds trying to imitate boy band moves?I wish I would’ve taken some video.
AND THE MUSIC????? Well it was up pretty loud.
Thank God Squishy likes music. Oh and the neighbor girl ya know Kenna’s best friend? She sat staring at us like we were all nuts for the most part. I often wonder why she loves coming over so much, (she has become a permanent fixture in our house and is welcomed happily.) then I realize it’s probably like getting to go to the circus for free.
WELCOME TO CASA LA CRAZY…..
Where you may come in with the grumpies but you will never ever leave without a smile!
Wow it seems like forever since I have even joined in on Monday Listicles! Maybe that’s because it has been FOREVER!!!! Stasha I miss you and your wonderful lists!!!! I especially love this one this week contributed by Ally over at Just a Normal Mom:Things I have no intentions of changing in 2013.
I mean seriously I just had a baby four months ago, and a teenager as well as 5 other kiddos,is there really anything else I need to change this year?They will be doing enough growing and changing for me to handle in 2013.
10 things I have no intentions of changing in 2013
1. My love and dependance on coffee. If anyone even wonders why I need coffee please see above statement about kids.
2. Blaring my music in the car and singing right along…nope just not gonna stop doing this.
3.Hugging my kids each day and telling them I love you.
4.Ordering or sending B out for pizza about once a month just because…oops I forgot we have to eat dinner. Seriously why do these kids insist on eating 3 times a day?
5.Dying my hair…nope I won’t stop dying my hair. In the last month I have gone from blonde to strawberry blonde to red to light brown. Hey it’s the little things that bring me joy.
6.Spending at least one day a week in my pj’s. This is not because I’m lazy it’s just because sometimes,just like with dinner,I forget that mommy needs to shower again.
7.Running my butt off all over town…as much as I would like to think I can hunker down and spend more time at Casa La Crazy the reality of 7 kids and tending to their different needs tells me otherwise.
8.Going into what the kids call “Kate plus 8 mode” where I get the look in my eye and the sudden urge that everything needs to be organized and orderly. When this look comes over me the kids know not to run and hide,because I will find them,but to just go with the flow for a bit till the look passes.
9. Running my mouth…yes we all know this is not going to change so let’s just go with the flow of it shall we.
10. Being thankful for all that we have. I am grateful everyday for the family I have been blessed with and for the wonderful man i have by my side. I will not change that for anything.
Phew good to know I can whip out a list of 10 things that I have no intention of changing so fast. This could be the stubborn streak in me.
I’m still here after a fabulous fun weekend with B and friends Monday flat our kicked my butt and so far Tuesday has just been plain old busy. I do have a thought provoking blog about a conversation me and Kenna had but I’m still trying to process it all. So till then I thought I would bullet you the random things that have been done,said, or seen in the last 5 days. I know you’re all dying for a peek into my life…….aren’t you?
- After spending 6 plus hours at the lake on Saturday I have 2 yes 2 pictures and they’re of kids backs…go me!
- I pretty much pulled 24 hours of staying awake from Friday morning to early Sunday morning than ran all day Sunday on oh 4 hours sleep and endless amounts of coffee.
- Holly learned how to cast at the lake. While showing me and being oh so proud of herself she promptly hooked something….her leg. It was like watching a movie in slow motion I could tell what was going to happen before it did.
- We discovered Lane is NOT allergic to bee stings after Nathaniel told him “just swat at the bee it won’t hurt you.” Which led to Lane crying “freakin Nathaniel!” Normally I would not condone that use of word from an 8 year old but if my big brother told me that I’d probably say the same thing.
- All 4 kids had dr appointments yesterday all checked out healthy.
- While at said dr appointment we discovered part of the reason why Nathaniel says “what???” so much when he’s on the phone…he had a pine needle stuck in his ear canal. Hey it could’ve been worst,it could’ve been a cactus needle from Arizona.
- This morning while doing school I was telling my mom over the phone how proud I was that my 6 year old could do double-digit subtraction. While on the phone one of the other kids came downstairs to tell me that Holly had her arm stuck in the back of the chair. (D’oh) twenty minutes later and the arm was still stuck…thank God for vegetable oil.
So as you can see never a dull moment in my household. I swear tomorrow is going to be a pajama day.
Most of my friends think I’m crazy for waking up at 4:30 in the morning. Even when I explain that is the only time I get to myself. I can wake up,start my coffee,turn on the computer, get Pandora coming to calm whatever my latest music craze is(right now it’s sappy Colbie Calliat songs) and just relax.
However on mornings I may sleep in till 6 or 6:30 … my nice two-hour ritual gets cut short. In fact it gets cut wayyyyyy to short. Some people don’t understand I NEED these two hours in the morning to be ready for the day. I will gladly sacrifice a couple of hours of sleep to make sure I am happy and well coffeed(is that even a word?) by the time the kids wake up.
This morning though I slept in and umm well…
Let me just give you a peek into my mornings of when I sleep in till 6:30
“Mom what if one of us was blind?We wouldn’t be able to do chores huh mom?” Contributed by Lane while sweeping the floor.
My answer “oh yes you would because you would be able to feel your way around”
Lane,”Yes but what if we were recently blinded?You know where we didn’t know how to feel our way around yet and stuff”
Me shaking my head and giving a giant facepalm. The kid does not understand I slept in and have not had enough coffee in my system to thoroughly function yet.You see on a normal morning I’ve already had a pot before the kids wake up,plus I’ve had my fresh air.
Yes my New Life Center Friends that is a church mug. I can’t believe I have it after all these years! So yes as I sit out on my badly needed painting porch I get to look out on this:
This view in the morning pretty much makes up for the fact that I’m renting a house that’s falling apart…pretty much.
However on the mornings I sleep in, the kids come bounding down the stairs all bright and cheery ready to do chores. Wait what????You mean they’re not all bright and cheery?
Ok she may LOOK like she’s happy but as soon as I snapped this the words “JEEZE mom are you just gonna stand there and take pictures?” Anyone want a prepubescent preteen? Anyone???Anyone??Bueller?Bueller??
And as I snapped this picture I uttered the words
“If that dirty sock spends one more day on the floor….”
“I just SAW it,” Lane replied to which I replied
“Really?It’s been there 3 days I’ve been waiting to see how long it would take you to pick it up without me saying anything.” DEAR LORD!!!!! WHEN did I become my mother????
Then of course there’s the sound of arguing between the 6-year-old and 12-year-old on the correct way to do dishes. I paired them up so the 6-year-old would learn from the 12-year-old. Yea Wendy how’s that workin out for ya?
Now of course their chores are done and the smells of bagels are coming from the toaster.Four hungry kids and chores done for the morning. I really don’t have too much to complain about. Life is good